For today’s What’s New Wednesday, the team thought it would be a fun post to share some updates on how we are passing the time during this time of social distancing. Each of us answered some of the questions like recipes we are cooking, what we are listening to, watching, and currently reading. Also, we have each selected a #WFH (Work From Home) piece that we are currently dreaming about and can source through our shop for you. Enjoy!
- Recipe I am making this week: I am recreating the Ancient Grains Bowl from True Food Kitchen. This is one of my favorite meals and a great way to get all of your veggies in! Here’s a link to the True Food Kitchen Ancient Grains Bowl.
- What I am watching: I am currently catching up on the latest season of Project Runway. I love seeing how these designers concepts come to reality!
- What I am listening to: I am listening to the “Goal Digger” podcast on my daily walks in my neighborhood. Jenna Kutcher gives such great advice in a relatable way.
- What I am reading: Mom’s On Call. Working on getting the new baby on a good schedule!
- My favorite way to decompress: Going on a walk by myself. Even if it is just for 10 minutes. It really helps me center myself after a busy day.
- WFH decor/furniture piece I am dreaming about: A framed Hermes scarf in an acrylic box over my desk like this photo.
- Recipe I am making this week: One of the recipes I am making this week is Sweet Potato Chicken Pad Thai. My husband and I like to make this one pretty often. It is Paleo + Whole 30 but it is surprisingly filling. We don’t have a spiralizer so we just chop up the sweet potatoes finely.
- What I am watching: American Idol! This is the first season I’ve watched as an adult and I love it. The different voices and styles of singing brings joy to my Sunday and Monday evenings.
- What I am listening to: Count Basie. His style of music is easy to listen to while cooking, building a puzzle, or just enjoying the backyard.
- What I am reading: I started reading “DON’T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF…and it’s all small stuff” by Richard Carlson, PH.D. This book has helped me focus on the things that are important and the things that can be controlled, like attitude!
- My favorite way to decompress: Walking around the neighborhood and seeing all of the spring beauty.
- #WFH decor/furniture piece I am dreaming about: This desk! It is washed lacquered linen with solid brass hardware and is 54″W x 26″D x 30.5″H. The price is $2,399. We procured this desk for a client but added a custom glass top for protection of the lacquered linen. Pictures don’t do it justice!
- Recipe I am making this week: Korean Kalbi (barbeque short ribs) with white rice and green onions. It is so delicious and you get to eat with your hands and get messy. This is a link to a similar recipe.
- What I am watching: Kelly Wearstler’s MasterClass: As a world-renowned interior designer, she teaches us how to incorporate different design principles into our own home, to think creatively, and experiment with endless possibilities while staying true to your voice.
- What I am reading: The Farm, a novel by Joanne Ramos. New York Time’s review: “Heartbreaking, suspenseful, provocative, The Farm pushes our thinking on motherhood, money, and merit to the extremes, and raises crucial questions about the trade-offs women will make to fortify their futures and the futures of those they love.”
- My favorite way to decompress: Drinking tea, stretching/yoga to relax the mind and body, as well as, taking a walk or being outdoors to get fresh air and clear the mind.
- #WFH decor/furniture piece I am dreaming about:
Love this desk in a neutral burl wood top and polished stainless steel legs. So chic paired with a white slipcovered desk chair! The desk is 68″ W x 28″ D x 30″ H. It sells for $3,999.
- Recipe I am making this week: Chicken Enchilada Casserole from Wanderlust & Wellness. The link to the recipe is here.
- What I am watching: Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime
- What I am listening to: Passion City Church DC Podcast, and MasterClass with Kelly Wearstler.
- What I am reading: My kids are home so we started the Hunger Games series together. We take turns reading it out loud to each other.
- My favorite way to decompress: Running is therapy for me. I love to go outside and run. I find clarity, creativity, freedom, and energy when I do. It sets the tone for my day. I have found that I need other outlets as well during this time. With all of the extra time I’ve had at home, I have also been painting with my kids. It is self expression, there is no right or wrong, and it is color therapy on paper. It releases something deep in my soul and has brought me a deep sense of joy and peace.
- #WFH decor/furniture piece I am dreaming about: I am currently dreaming of an entire office makeover, but I’d be happy with a new desk and chair. I like this cerused oak desk with brass details paired with this rattan chair. The desk is 52″W x 31.25″H x 23.75″D and sells for $1,459.99. The chair has curved back that is accented with hand woven caning. The black finish is enlivened with a gray glaze. Unique brass caps finish off the arms and the exaggerated raked back legs end in brass ferules. It is 26″W x 27″D x 30″H and sells for $999.99.
- Recipe I am making this week: Sheet Pan Chicken Shawarma with Sesame Sweet Potatoes and Hummus from Half Baked Harvest. I love the Mediterranean flavors in this dish. It has become one of my favorite dishes, plus it is healthy, easy, and filling. I love all of the recipes from Half Baked Harvest, but I especially recommend this one!
- What I am watching: “Little Fires Everywhere” on Hulu. It is Reese Witherspoon’s latest show adapted from a novel with lots of twists and turns. If you were a fan of the “Big Little Lies” series you will like this show too.
- What I am listening to: “Home Sweet Home” playlist on Spotify is relaxing, yet upbeat to listen to while I work. I also like playing their “Coffee Table Jazz” playlist. It makes me feel like I am working at a cozy coffee shop even if I am at home.
- What I am reading: I am switching between two books currently, one is a cooking book by James Beard Award Winner Samin Nosrat, Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat. In her book, she lists out what she believes is the foundation and elements for good cooking. (She just released a podcast on pantry cooking too!) It has come in handy as I cook more homemade meals. I am also reading the novel, In Five Years.
- My favorite way to decompress: Walks in my neighborhood, talking to family and friends, and at-home workouts like yoga and barre classes help me stay positive each day.
- #WFH decor/furniture piece I am dreaming about: This is my dream desk. It is a splurge, but such a statement piece. I love the spiral detailing of the faux horn on the sides and top. It is 54″ W x 24″ D x 31″ H. It sells for $4,840. It is also available in ivory faux horn.
Share with us in the comments and social media your answers!